Wednesday, May 21, 2008

On hoping prostitution isn't a necessity

So a rather disturbing event occurred today at work. It seems that Jess will be leaving us to manage a dog walking company. She'll be making *enormously* more than she is making now and she'll be getting benefits to boot, so I'm quite happy for her. At the same time, however, I'm dreading the possibility that I'm going to be asked to step into her place, as the only other permanent full-time employee at my company. Yeah, we're a pretty tiny company, and being a manager of any sort pretty much runs against the grain of my being.

I dunno. I enjoy working at my company. I get paid lunches, lunches paid FOR me, and a very relaxed work atmosphere. So I actually make *substantially* more than my hourly wage seems to suggest...although I don't get any sort of benefits, which sucks. Maybe it's just that sudden and massive changes that may have long-term effects on my surroundings make me very uneasy. While not necessarily a creature of habit, I do prefer that I have a nice, level surface to work from.

Although...I HAVE been contemplating moving to a new job for a while. It'd be nice to have benefits and a pay rate that will actually let me assemble something resembling a savings account, but I kind of hate the idea of sacrificing flexibility for it. Plus, it seems incredibly difficult to find a decent job in New York without offering illicit services to somebody. I think that someone with my level of experience and technical skill ought to be considerably more marketable than I currently seem to be. Wait? Was that a non sequitur? I'm a bit tired right now.

Anyway, perhaps when I hit 30, if I still haven't really done anything to speak of as a creative professional, I'll start contemplating getting my Masters and going back to engineering. Perhaps.

No comments: