Wednesday, April 01, 2009

On serious wtf moments

So I just saw the trailer for "Dragonball: Evolution" and the only thing I can think right is...what the FUCK were they smoking? What brainiac had the brilliant idea to turn one of the longest-running piece of Japanese anime, widely criticized for combining INCREDIBLY slow storytelling with RIDICULOUS action, into a live-action film? And how the FUCK did Justin Chatwin end up as Goku and Emmy freaking Rossum get cast as Bulma?!

The truly sad part is...the movie actually looks quarter-way decent, in a generic special-effects laden not-quite martial arts cheap brainless entertainment sort of way. Kind of like Mortal Kombat, but even more inane.

Words fail me right now. I'm not sure if the notion has jumped through subspace and traversed the entire spectrum of insanity to end up in some weird dimension of the potentially watchable, or whether we're witnessing an epic new chapter in the history of film-making bowel movements. Every portion of me is screaming that it's almost definitely going to be the latter, but the trailer actually looks interesting enough (for a Western-copy-of-Eastern-sort-of-mysticism-but-not-really martial arts action movie) that I'm allowing a tiny smidgen of hope that it might actually end up being the former.

Oh, but I AM grossly offended that they cast Caucasian actors as Goku and Bulma. I mean, really? People, come on. This is RIDICULOUS. There are plenty of decent Asian actors out there, and Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum hardly even offer marquee value. Are we really still in a place where we're so afraid of having minorities play the leads that we have to substitute in Caucasian actors in a freaking anime re-make?

I could probably talk more intelligently on this topic, but I'm still a little busy picking my jaw up off the floor. Oh, and I need to go do my P90X exercises. So I think I'll be addressing this a little later, after I've had some time to mull it through.

No comments: