Sunday, October 15, 2006

On iambs

Dance your dance, oh Shiva, dance, dance away my tears.
Sing your song, oh Shiva, sing, sing away my fears.
My heart is cracked, my heart is torn,
for you were there when I was born.
So lay me down to sleep, oh Shiva,
Say that I can rest.

Dance, oh Shiva, dance dance, dance away my tears.
Sing, oh Shiva, sing sing, sing for all who hear.
My love has fled, my heart is dead,
And lonely days are days I dread.
So music me to sleep, oh Shiva,
Play me to my rest.

Dance for me, oh Shiva, dance, dance away my tears.
Sing for me, oh Shiva, sing, sing so I may hear.
There's nothing here, there's nothing left,
Don't say that I should stay bereft.
So gaze into my eyes, oh Shiva,
Look, that I may rest.


No, I'm not actually that angsty. I got an idea of a sort of myth, about someone - a god perhaps. He is a good god...maybe the best of all the gods. Because of this he was betrayed and in the process lost everything he loved. So in the end all he can think to do is ask someone else - a goddess, maybe - who loves him to dance her dance and sing her song.

This dance is called the Dance of Shiva, named after the Hindu God, whose dance is of cosmic significance. It's an ultimately selfish thing to ask of her, but if he's allotted one selfish thing in all eternity, this would be it. And because she loves him, she dances away the world and sings down the heavens, and in the process gives him the rest he asks for.

Then the second world is created, and it is forever missing a certain something, because the god who was betrayed had no hand in making it. But perhaps if that original betrayal was somehow sufficiently atoned for, he'll come out of his rest, and take hand in the world once again.

Yeah, my stories are usually pretty dark. Believe it or not, it helps keep me maintain a positive outlook.

No comments: