Saturday, May 02, 2009

Travelogue Two, Day Two – I Thought I Was Supposed to Be LESS Busy on at Sea Days

So, so very tired. And so, so very drunk. Okay, actually, not that drunk, although I had a fairly absurd amount of alcohol. John, the bartender in the Star Lounge, has this unfortunate (or very fortunate, depending on how you look at it) tendency to mix very, very strong drinks. I had my first appletini tonight and it was a fairly impressive one. I have no clear conception of what goes into an appletini, but suffice it to say it seems to be a great deal of alcohol with just enough flavoring to keep the whole thing from becoming absurdly vile.

I actually don’t have a great deal to report today. This is our second at sea day – we have one more tomorrow before we dock in Bermuda, at which point the rehearsals are over and we see just how well G can herd a group of 50-odd people to the right place at the right time. Frankly, I’ll be amazed if we all manage to make it onto the buses without somebody being left behind.

I’d imagined that I would have somewhat less work to do with all of the days we’re spending at sea, but somehow, with everything else that seems to be going on, I’m finding myself with the usual dearth of time. Between meetings, shows, P90X, and dinner, I seem to be stuck in the exact same situations as I was stuck in on the Crystal Serenity, when we were docking at a port practically every day and I was constantly shuttling myself (and sometimes other people) off to some exotic new locale every day. I think part of the issue is the fact that I have to keep up with several Theatre at Sea shore excursions now, whereas with the Crystal Serenity we were restricted to Venice, Rome, and Monte Carlo.

I finally did find a way to get my pull-up bar to fit into my stateroom, although now it’s resting on a rather flimsy-looking piece of decorative wood. I’m hoping I’ll be able to go through the entire cruise without doing permanent damage to my stateroom, but every creak and strain in the woodwork while I’m doing pull-ups is making me nervous. As a tangent, I’m still kind of annoyed that I haven’t been able to make it past three wide-grip pull-ups. I know those are hard and back exercises are among the worst in my repertoire, but I feel like I should have more to show after nearly six weeks of P90X.

Anyway, we had our group meeting with all of the Theatre at Sea passengers this morning, which required me to drag my ass out of bed at 9:45 in the morning after having gone to bed at 3:15 the night before. Having gotten only about two hours the night before that, the six hours felt about as useful as one. The group meeting went well – only one or two people took up a disproportionate amount of my time with issues that have effectively nothing to do with me, which is actually a fact that I’m getting more used to as time goes on. Even as Jessica said – there are always one or two people on the cruises who will make your life miserable, and there’s not much you can do except let it wash over you, out the back of the ship, and fantasize about various ways they might fall overboard during the trip.

I had lunch, or at least a part of lunch, with David and Sumrall, and I very successfully broke my promise last night to eat dessert only during dinner. I can’t help it. They had goddamn Black Forest Cake mixed among, like, eighteen different dessert selections. It’s a testimony to my force of will that I only took a small slice of the cake and didn’t choose one of each item, like I would have if I weren’t doing P90X. Yes, I know I’m making excuses and no, I don’t feel guilty at all. We tread over this ground on my last post. I eat like an ascetic back in New York. I’m going to enjoy myself on this cruise, dammit.

Anyway, I napped through a lot of the afternoon, did my yoga (balance postures are absurdly hard on a ship that’s rocking back and forth), and showed up for a relatively nice dinner. Of course there were issues, but they weren’t nearly as pressing or as idiotic as they were yesterday and I was actually able to sit down for dinner at a reasonable time and have some reasonable conversation with some of my passengers. I know – someone roll out the plagues of boils and swarms of locusts. Did some work, of course, after dinner, but after that was done I flitted over and did some GREAT karaoke with David and Sumrall.

I do have to add here – this cruise would be SO much harder if I didn’t have the chance to unwind with David and Sumrall. I won’t deny I kinda wish I had someone special to share the cruise with me (I’m working on that), but in lieu of romantic companionship the two of them kick some major ass. I’m utterly bummed that they’re not able to come onto the next cruise – and the Crystal Symphony doesn’t even serve complimentary alcohol! Dammit!

Anyway, we have another at sea day tomorrow and our first show. I’m actually anticipating some time off and some rest after Bermuda is all settled, so there might be some fairly short (or fairly philosophical) posts from me for a while. We'll see. For now, however, I’m going to bed.

No comments: