Monday, November 24, 2008

On a dearth of amenities

I've made no mention of the fact, but my computer abruptly died about a month ago, which has contributed a great deal not only to my recent absence of posts, but also to my inability to finish uploading the rest of my travelogue and the pictures I took while in Venice.

You'd think that I'd be in a rush to get my computer repaired as soon as possible, as losing the use of the computer, for a technology nerd like me, is somewhat akin to getting my right arm cut off. Well, as it turns out, losing this particular computer is less like losing a limb and more like losing my left testicle. It was exceedingly painful at the time, but over the course of a few weeks it's become more of an annoyance than a real handicap. I haven't been able to watch my Naruto, so downloading a whole host of them when I finally do get my computer back up will be sort of irritating. I also haven't been able to write via computer, but I have no lack of paper or use of my hands. Other than those, it hasn't been as utterly agonizing as one would imagine.

Of course, it helps that I can sort of steal Kevin's computer for use at any given time, and that I have a certain degree of computer access at work. Even so, I'm finding it quite refreshing to learn that I'm not as utterly dependent upon my computer as I led myself to believe some years ago. It's almost like discovering my moorings have been cut, but rather than panicking at being castaway I'm enjoying the freedom of being able to sail away.

I take an aside to note that a life-and-death sailing metaphor is probably not entirely appropriate for a computer mishap.

Anyway, I'll probably endeavor to enact repairs at some point, but I'm finding it increasingly likely that I'll just assemble a new one. This old computer was about five years old, which any geek can tell you is positively ancient by computing standards, and with the release of Intel's new Core i7 I'm finding a certain amount of glee at the proposition of a computing powerhouse with six gigs of memory.

That's right, gentlemen. We can rebuild him. Faster, stronger, smarter. We have this capability.

Just maybe not QUITE the money right now.

No comments: