Wednesday, September 20, 2006

On dragons inside a dungeon

Unless you're creative with your dungeons, odds are good that they simply won't fit. And even if they did fit, could a colossal wyrm really take enough advantage of an underground room to benefit from his natural flight? It is, of course, possible to make a truly enormous room.

You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking about a dragon inside an opera house. Not just any opera house - a HUGE opera house. I'm talking four, five hundred feet to a side, thousands upon thousands of chairs, and enough room for the dragon to fly. I'm talking split-level mezzanine where archers could possibly shoot the dragon before it has the chance to rain fiery destruction upon all the oh-so-expensive velvet chairs. No crowds, mind you - that would just make things difficult, but...I think there should be a chandelier. A huge one, dangling right in the middle of things, so a particularly heroic...ahm...hero could jump from the mezzanine to the chandelier and take swipes at the dragon as it flies underneath. And if the heroes are really clever, they can fiddle with the levers and knobs and try to hit the dragon with pieces of the set. Yeah. That satisfies my sense of the unusual.

In a more serious note, I'm kind of pissed off at myself. I know what constitutes a good adventure. I know, essentially, what will entertain my players. I can even recognize signs that someone isn't enjoying a game. Why, then, can't I seem to do anything about it? My success rate in running a smooth, really enjoyable game seems to hover between 40-50%, and that's frankly just not good enough. I want all of my players to be enjoying themselves, dammit, not just two or three at a time. Why oh why can't I seem to let go of the story in exchange for fun when I need to?

Bah!

No comments: