Friday, September 30, 2005

On good film

Serenity was incredibly, incredibly good. Ah, where do I begin? The acting was superb, the storyline spectacular, and the technical stuff rather good. I say only rather good because the cinematography and camera work felt shaky, and the first 15 minutes or so was wobbly. I wouldn't put it at jello wobbly, though. More like...Italian cheese cake wobbly. So it was a little soft, but moist and oh so delectable.

I get off topic. What I really like about it, I think, is that it's not one of those black and white action sci-fi movies. It has implications, and impact, and levels. Sometimes they seem painfully obvious, but the more I sit on it the more texture the movie seems to acquire. The characters, of course, are absolutely loveable in their utter humanity. Their heroism, their virtues, their idiosyncrasies, and their flaws. I love them. I find something totally enjoyable and fascinating about each of the characters - even the ones with but a little air time seems to me people with depth and meaning. Joss Whedon's directorial abilities may not be top notch, but his vision is definitely engaging.

This is one of those few movies that I will definitely buy on DVD.

No comments: